See how many drops of water you can add to a penny!
- water dropper (or pipette or syringe)
- dish soap
- fill the water dropper with water
- set the penny on a flat surface that can get wet
- add one drop at a time to the penny and see how how much water you can add to the penny
- try a variation where you touch some dish soap to the bubble of water on the penny.
Observation and Results:
- What did you observe?
- What do you think is happening?
The surface tension of the water allows you to build a stack of water on top of a penny.