Make a working volcano from materials you would normally have in your house!
- 2 pieces of construction paper
- 1 litre plastic bottle
- measuring cup
- black paint (or any color to make it look like a volcano)
- paint brush
- baking soda
- red food coloring
- liquid dish soap
- shoe box lid or similar box with edges
- mixing bowl
Building the Volcano:
- Tape the empty bottle to the inside of the shoe box lid
- Make and tape a cone shape around the bottle using the two pieces of construction paper
- Tape the cone to the bottle and to the lid
- Mix paper mâché using equal parts of flour and water in a bowl
- Use the paper mâché right away by cutting the newspaper into long strips and pasting the strips around the cone
- Tip: Make sure to not cover the hole at top of the bottle. Make sure the strips are fully soaked in the paste mixture. You can add as many newspaper layers and paste as you’d like.
- When finished with the paper mâché, dry the volcano overnight.
- Once the volcano is dry, you can paint the volcano with black (or other colored) paint
Exploding the volcano:
- Add one cup of baking soda to into the volcano (use the funnel if necessary)
- Add 2 tablespoons of warm water into the volcano
- Add 5 drops of liquid dish soap into the volcano
- Add 5 drops of red food coloring into the volcano
- Using the funnel, add 3 tablespoons of vinegar into the volcano (do it at once and remove funnel quickly)
- What did you observe?
- Can you explain what is happening?
When you combine baking soda and vinegar, it produces carbon dioxide gas. The dish soap, water and food coloring help to make it all look more real.
- Try to create your own lava solution by varying the above ingredients (baking soda, vinegar, food coloring, dish soap, etc.)