Sugar molecules are already in crystal form. This experiment allows you to grow larger crystals and eat them!
Time: 2-3 days
- thin wooden chopstick or kabob stick
- pan to boil water
- optional food coloring
- glass jar
- clothes pin
- size the wooden stick to fit vertically in the jar without touching the bottom or the sides. Fasten the stick with a clothespin or similar clip to hold it in place.
- bring water to boil on stove (turn off heat)
- add sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved
- optional add food coloring and mix
- pour the dissolved sugar water into the jar
- place the vertical stick into the jar so that it is well away from the sides or the bottom of the jar
- Observe as it cools and let sit for up to a few days
- what happened o the stick?
- what happened to the water level of the dissolved sugar water in the jar
- By adding so much sugar into the water, you are creating a super-saturated solution. When the water cools and when the water starts to evaporate, the sugar in the mixture needs to find a place to go. The wooden stick provides a nice place for the sugar to hang out, literally.